November 7, 2007

French

Well learning French can be real tricky, specially if you have already covered and buried your childhood. Everything from a pen to a cakeshop has a gender and an article proudly pronouncing the gender. Some of the notes from my French notesbook:
“If a word ends in a vowel, the vowel is not pronounced”, so I follow that.
Some pages later, “If a word ends in a consonant, the consonant is not pronounced”. “Oh okay, so do we ever pronounce the last letter”, asked the curious me, “Sure we do” like in exceptions, some 50,000 of them. The problem it sounds very good and after the first couple of sessions you’ll start enjoying it. It becomes somewhat like a high, you start loving banging your head.
French is introduced in office as part of some “New Initiative” and I must say a good one. More than half the “Leadership Team” (whatever is the reason why they are called so, all they ever lead is incompetence, me included), and we had a damn good time at that must I admit. No none of us could learn of speak that well but it did something bigger, it made us kids. I don’t recall laughing like this in a long long time. Oh! the price of adulthood.

No comments: